Built in 1791, this is the oldest church building in the town of Litchfield. It was erected on what is now the Milton Green by the Third Society of Litchfield and the members were allowed to pay the expense of its construction in cash, bar iron, oil, flax seed, and lumber.
The Milton Ecclesiastical Society organized in 1795, inherited the building from its predecessor. At that time the building was painted yellow and the interior had no point, plaster or pews. Those attending services sat on planks raised from the floor by putting sticks into the ends. The buildings construction was not completed until 1841.
On August 19,1798 the Society established the Milton Congregational Presbyterian Church with a membership of twenty-four.
Because many persons of the community considered the yellow building to be a disfigurement of the Green, Church members voted to move the building across the river to its present site on September 16,1828 provided the move could be completed in six weeks. The land was given by Asa Morris.
The Greek Revival features including temple framing, pilastered corners, and pedimented facade, were added after the move. The cupola was added in 1843. The building is of post and beam construcion with six frames each having 22 foot 12×12 posts and 37 foot 10×12 tie beams. The rafters are 22foot 8×8′s.
The gallery was finished off in 1835 and was used for a select school. It was partitioned in 1904 and later housed the Milton Library. In 1970 it was renovated to provide rooms for Sunday School. Originally the large front panels could be raised into a pocket above utilizing stone counter-balances in the loft.
In 1947 the carraige shed formerly located at the rear of the present parking lot were removed, electricity was installed in 1954, and gas heating stoves were added in 1963.
In the mid 1800′s a bell which subsequently cracked was installed in the cupola, a new Communion service – still in use- was given by Miss Lucretia Deming in 1856, and the Wilcox and White organ in the rear of the church was purchased. The organ was used until 1964 when it was replaced with a electronic model. While the original bell is still in place the present bell which came from the school house at the south end of the green was installed in 1976 the gift of Mr. and Mrs. Donald Peck.
The Green which is still owned and maintained by the Church has remained unchanged since the early 1800′s. It has served as the home field for Milton baseball teams and as a play area for children attending the Milton School. Presently it is used for recreation by members of the community and often rented during the summer months for wedding receptions.
The first settled pastor was Rev. Benjamin Judd who was called in 1802. Rev. George J. Harrison, served for 40 years, from 1854 to 1893. Rev. Wesley E. Page was pastor in 1898 when the church celebrated its 100th anniversary. Rev. Joseph D. Prigmore has a Boys Club in the gallery. Pastor Miss. Frances S. Walkley was at Milton from 1924 to 1938 and did much for the young people of the community. Rev. Irving J Enslin followed her;his service lasted 23 years, until 1962. there were several student ministers then, and in 1965 Rev. Thomas Campbell came, followed by Dr. Thorpe Bauer, Dr. Harry L. Peatt. and Rev. George A. Smith. In more recent times the church has been served by Rev. Brad Harmon(1994-1997), Rev. Leslie Jacobs(1998-2000) and Rev. John Arens(2003-2006). The church received aid from the State Missionary Society for over 103 years until 1944 when it became self-sustaining. In 1948 the Church joined the United Church of Christ and is a member of the Litchfiled South Association.
In 1996 the congregation took on a large project – Making a new foundation for the church – literally. The church was moved off its foundation and a new foundation was poured. The members of the congregation and the Milton community raised one hundred thousand dollars to complete this project. Much of the time and talent to complete the project was volunteered. A new basement also meant an upgrade in heating – Now the church would be open year round. Prior to this project services were conducted from Palm Sunday through Christmas due to the lack of central heat.